You longed to hear the words: “The divorce is final.” The closure allows you to move on and begin the life you’ve created. But sometimes, as your life and your children’s lives change, you may need to make some adjustments to your divorce decree. Or, perhaps your spouse isn’t following the divorce order. Legal issues following divorce are called “Post Judgment” matters. Post Judgment problems can involve property division, child support, alimony, or child custody and parenting, and may require working with a skilled divorce attorney.

Good options for resolving Post Judgment issues include negotiation, mediation, and collaborative law. Our Connecticut post-judgment divorce lawyers can also address issues in litigation by filing motions with the court.


A myriad of issues can come up after a divorce is finalized, but some are more common than others. If you need to file a Post Judgment motion, it’s often because:

  • One parent wants to relocate.
  • A former spouse’s remarriage or cohabitation with a new partner.
  • An ex-spouse’s income increases or decreases significantly.
  • A parent doesn’t pay child support.
  • An ex-spouse disobeys the divorce order and doesn’t pay alimony.
  • New evidence came to light after the divorce.
  • An ex-spouse doesn’t transfer retirement funds or other property as required.
  • The children’s lives and schedules change as they grow.
  • An ex-spouse disagrees with the court order.




Freed Marcroft has the legal acumen and experience to help you with your Post Judgment needs. Filing a Motion to Modify is a common Post Judgment action. This motion can be used to change a custody and parenting plan, child support, or alimony based on significant life changes. If your spouse doesn’t follow court orders, you can file a Motion for Contempt. A Motion to Open allows the court to consider new facts or evidence that come to light after the divorce. A Motion to Compel is used to request the court require someone to take a certain action, while a Motion to Set Aside may be filed if you don’t agree with the divorce judgment.

Depending on your circumstances, filing motions isn’t always a necessary (or even preferable) first course of action. If you prefer to reach an agreement rather than litigate, mediation, and collaborative law are options to consider. In those cases, we submit the agreement you reach to the court so that it becomes an enforceable court order. There are other creative solutions that may meet your needs and help you move forward without issues. Freed Marcroft’s family law attorneys can explain the ins-and-outs and put together a legal strategy for you – rooted in your goals.


Sometimes parenting plans or custody and visitation arrangements need to be changed to keep up with parents’ and kids’ changing lives. As always, any modifications to a parenting plan must be in the child’s best interests.

Some examples of reasons a parent might file a Motion to Modify custody or parenting include:

  • Seeking additional parenting time
  • Hoping to relocate
  • Changes to a parent’s work schedule
  • Adjustments to a child’s school or activity schedule


If the court didn’t order alimony during the divorce, you cannot request a modification Post Judgment. However, if the court did order at least $1 of alimony, you might be eligible to modify alimony. Your alimony is eligible for modification, the next question is to determine whether your divorce decree specifically prohibits changing alimony or not. If it doesn’t, you can petition the court to increase, decrease, or eliminate alimony when there has been a substantial change in circumstances. Sometimes a Motion for Modification of Alimony is based on a spouse’s remarriage or cohabitation. Freed Marcroft will review your original order and your circumstances to see if you are eligible to modify alimony and advocate for your goals.

Freed Marcroft LLC

Freed Marcroft LLC